Course files and links of interest.
- EDUC 435 Course Outline
- EDUC 435 Calendar
- EDUC 435 Assignment Descriptions
- ***GOOGLE FOLDER WITH ALL COURSE FILES***
- BC MATH CURRICULUM GRIDS
- RESOURCES AND LINKS
Class summaries and homework updates.
Class 1 – Aug. 24: Doing mathematics
- Summary (includes Graph Game, Skyscrapers, and a bit on flow)
- Homework (includes Van de Walle Ch 2 and Lockhart’s Lament)
Class 2 – Aug. 28: Competencies and Content
- Summary and Homework (includes Pixel Problem, Lamppost Problem, Nested Squares, more on the five strands, and part of Van de Walle Ch 3)
Class 3 – Aug. 30: Rich Tasks
- Summary and Homework (includes Stacking Squares link, 3 types of questions, ‘what makes a rich task’ reading, ‘thinking like a mathematician’ reading, ‘arbitrary and necessary’ reading, and a link to the 100 days of summer challenge by brilliant.org)
- Pythagorean Theorem Water Demo Video
Class 4 – Sept. 1: Planning to Occasion Mathematical Learning
- Summary and Homework (includes four components of good math teaching, links to readings on real world vs fake world, mathematical modelling, and developing the question from Dan Meyer, links to the circle/angular velocity connected lesson resources, links to more resources for finding activity ideas, and the pool table problem).
- PowerPoint with circle lesson videos
- Resource List (also linked at top of this page)
- ‘Why’ Questions